Frederick Carl Gloeckner was born August 14, 1901, in West Hoboken, N.J. His career began as a young boy when he travelled to California and worked with the noted flower seed breeders, Bodger Seed Co. in Gardena, and then the Brown Bulb Ranch in Capitola. He returned to New York and was associated with the American Bulb Co., where he developed his skills in selling plants, seeds, bulbs and supplies to commercial growing establishments throughout the United States. In 1934, along with his father, Carl R. Gloeckner, and Leonard J. Sieger, he founded the Fred C. Gloeckner & Company, Inc., New York. During his 56 years of tireless devotion to the industry, Mr. Gloeckner received countless awards from national and state associations, as well as from the universities where his contributions were most significant. In 1971, the Society of American Florists honored Mr. Gloeckner by inducting him into the Floriculture Hall of Fame, the industry's highest award. The American Horticultural Society presented the Commercial Award to him in May of 1987 for his accomplishment in building a nationally recognized organization in commercial horticulture.
Mr. Gloeckner believed in hard work, long hours, and encouraged many families and individuals in the industry to think positively and be aggressive toward their future. He encouraged young people to seek formalized training in the horticultural sciences, and he placed in high regard the researchers within the academic community who were constantly striving to improve all aspects of crop production.
It was a keen interest and firm resolve to facilitate innovation and improved practices in floriculture that inspired Mr. Gloeckner to found the Fred C. Gloeckner Foundation, Inc. in 1960. Since the inception of the Foundation, over $6.5 million have been awarded to 66 institutions throughout the United States for the specific purpose of enabling research and education efforts in floriculture and ornamental horticulture.
Fred C. Gloeckner Foundation, Inc.
550 Mamaroneck Ave, Suite 510 Harrison, NY 10528-1609
Phone: (914) 698-2300 - Fax : (914) 698-0848